Underneath it all

Underneath it all
I took the color out and you can still see me behind all the red.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Round 4 - Day 3 - Carac .5% Cream - Last Day of Mom's Visit and My Cracking Lips

Today went well.  I spent the day mostly hanging out at home and running errands with my Mom today, then went out to dinner and to let the kids play at the beach this evening.  I look normal so far. The red spots on my face are a couple of moles that are healing from removal, nothing to do with my treatment, and luckily they cover up for the most part with makeup.

I believe that perhaps I could have started this Carac treatment a few days earlier than I did and I'd be healed up and on with my summer a bit earlier.  So far not really any change.  I am treating my lips and get the taste in my mouth a bit.  My lips are starting to crack a bit, but mostly just pretty chapped from the AKs.  It's really hot down here in Florida now, tonight was fine, but going out in the heat today did feel a bit irritating, so dead the sweat I was just starting to break.  I was really worried about my lips this year.  They have been constantly chapped and peeling.  The doctor thought that it was a combination of the AKs and a little addiction I've had to lip balms.  I've been like a crack addict with EOS mint lip balm and Carmex and anything minty and tingly, even Burt's Bees.  I changed to Lansinoh, the lanolin product for breast feeding mothers and that helped.  My doctor told me to just stop with the lip balm.  A student gave me a Vaseline lip balm that felt good, and he said it's ok for me to use that one, just plain Vaseline.

I've been getting a bit of stomach sickness, but not too bad.  Not even sure if its the medication or something I ate or something.  I know in a few days when my lips get rough I will not be able to eat salt until they heal. I remember how bad that hurt, and remember it's not worth it.

It's been really wonderful having my Mom here.  Before this visit, it had been two years since I have seen her.  It went by too fast, and two years is too long!  I live in Florida and she lives in Washington State, and with 3 boys, my teaching career, and the month I have to take out every year to do this treatment, it's been difficult to get up there.  I'm already sad, the years are flying by, and I see she is aging.  I miss her.





1 comment:

  1. A friend has just finished his 14th day of treatment and told me about fluorouracil. When I looked it up I found your blog. I wanted you to know that I've read every entry, I was amazed at your courage, and I'm thankful that you would share. I've had several Mohe surgeries and removals and most likely I will also do the chemotherapy that you are doing. I too have baked in Washington when younger and, as they say, "you play, you pay". I'm praying for you and please know that even though most people don't leave a comment, there are many, many that are reading.

    ReplyDelete