Underneath it all

Underneath it all
I took the color out and you can still see me behind all the red.

Friday, July 24, 2020

July 2020 Update

I just wanted to leave an update so you all know I'm doing fine.  The summers that I went through the treatments were hard, and always in the back of my mind when I go outside.  I've been lucky and made it a few years without needing another round of topical chemo.  I go for a check up once or twice a year, and I am overcome by anxiety before each appointment, but they've gone pretty well. I did have to have one tiny little spot cut off my abdomen a couple of years ago that left me with a three inch scar, but I'm fifty now, and I'm glad that they got it early. 

I don't go in the sun much if I can help it, but I don't totally avoid it either.  I wear my SPF and try to stay covered up, and avoid sun burns, but I still fish, go boating and to the beach, just not at noon or to get a tan. The beach is beautiful around 6 PM, still a bit sunny and its pretty as the clouds turn bright pink before the sunsets.  There will undoubtedly be more treatments in my future, but its important not to dwell on them, and to focus on the positive things in life.  Stay strong, it totally sucks, but you will get through this! 

4 comments:

  1. Christina! I am starting tomorrow! I am totally freaked out! Thank you for your blog! I am scared! I live in Florida too! Yikes! I have to work during my journey! That is the worst part I think! But I am a nurse, so my co-workers will be fine, it's my patients I am worried about! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through this now and loved finding your blog. Can I ask what sunscreen you use under your make-up? The chemical sunscreens make my eyes burn and water. I have found one make-up primer I like, but the SPF is only 30 and it’s really expensive. Can I please ask what you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I grew up on the beach in Florida and have very pale, freckled skin. Bad combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are doing well. Was just advised I need to start using the chemo cream. It's 2022 and I'm 52 so not worried about looking weird as much as pain and discomfort. You're blog was interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing and, again, glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete