Underneath it all

Underneath it all
I took the color out and you can still see me behind all the red.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Round 3 - Silver Linings - Application Day 10

Today just hurts.  I just took my first Tramadol a few minutes ago, Ibuprofen is doing little to stop my face from stinging.  I stayed indoors all day, I organized my tupperware cupboard, and finally got a chance to do that gingerbread house that's been sitting in the kitchen since December with my youngest.  Talk about silver linings!  He is so happy to get time with me.  Normally I'm working and running at 110% trying to catch up with everything.  I am actually enjoying getting to cook for me and my Littleman breakfast, lunch and dinner.  We sit together and talk.  We actually had a great day hanging out together.  He's six, and he tries his hardest to help me out.  I try not to let him see me hurting, and not to ask him to do more than his normal chores.  He's a kid, he shouldn't have to help take care of me.  He keeps my spirits up though. He also reminds me of why I'm willing to do this every year for the rest of my life if needed.
My face, especially my lips hurt, not unbearably, annoyingly yes, very. Keeping myself busy helps to keep my mind off of the pain, and hopefully the Tramadol will help too.  The cracks around the sides of my nose are hurting pretty intensely.  I tried not to get the medication near them, but it obviously got in there.  I also notice that the places that turn red in reaction to the medication are different each round.  Went back and looked at my Day 10 photograph from my first treatment, and it was way worse than how I look today.  I guess the new areas that are reacting are why I have to do this every year.  My case is one of the worst my doctor has ever seen at my age, so hopefully if you are going through this treatment your reactions will not be as severe as mine.  I know for some of you, your reactions have been worse.  It's different for everyone, skin type, damage, etc.  I'm an elementary teacher, I have no medical background, these are just my own thoughts and observations, and those of others who share on this blog because they are going through the same treatment.  Maybe someday, one of you will post some new treatment, and we won't have to go through Fluorouracil treatments anymore.
For me. the first time felt the worst because it was hard to imagine my life going back to normal after the treatments, it felt like a life change.  Now, I know it sucks for a month, but that it all goes back to normal after that.  By suck, I mean royally, really super big time suck. Doesn't suck as bad as having to get half of your nose cut off when they have to remove a "spot."  Compared to that, Fluorouracil is in itself a silver lining of sorts.  Ok I know, that's a huge stretch, but I'm trying to stay positive.  I'm your Freddy Krueger faced cheerleader!!  They need to hang my photos next to tanning beds instead of those hot, young, tanned and oiled up models.  If for one second I had really thought this was in my future, I would not have fried myself so carelessly my whole young life.


Round 3 - Application Day 10 - June 11, 2015


Round 2 - Application Day 10 - July 17, 2014
Round 1 - Application Day 10 - August 5, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment