Underneath it all

Underneath it all
I took the color out and you can still see me behind all the red.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Round Two: Day 9 Give the Kid a Cigarette Already

Day 9, July 16 2014
 
So..... it's July in Pensacola, Florida  the Redneck Rivera, and my Facebook is lighting up with the beautiful beach pictures of my friends and their kids at the beach.  Yep, that was me once.  I worked hard to have one of the darkest tans out there. I actually felt competitive about it.  I was a dumbass. Now I see mothers taking their daughters to the beach to work on their tans. Really!? 

I used to go to the tanning bed with my own mother when I was young.  We didn't know then what we do now.  Science has come a long way in 20 years.  If you are dumb enough to teach your kids to get a tan to look good, why stop there?  Give the kid a cigarette already!  Light those puppies up! That's pretty stupid huh?  You wouldn't give your kids a cigarette, but how is one different than the other?  They both cause cancer.  I'm not talking about the people at the beach who enjoy being outdoors and slather their children in a strong SPF, and take other measures to take care of themselves and their children's skin.  I'm talking to those who purposely set out to tan themselves and their kids, or set the example that tans are desirable for their kids.  There is peer pressure from society, no doubt.  How many summer songs mention cold drinks and tans?  We've got to be smarter than that, especially when it comes to the examples we are setting for our children.  If you are "working" on your tan,  or valuing your tan, what are you teaching your teenagers?  What is the difference between that and glamorizing smoking in front of your children?  Enough preaching, it's MY blog and I just had to get that out.
 
Today I've felt very nauseous, fatigued, and my face stings like a...... well, lets just say really bad.  Yesterday, after my shower, I gently held the soft towel up to my face and it felt like hundreds of small bee stings. The bandana on my head is to keep my hair from touching my skin, I can't stand for anything to touch my face.  Kisses and hugs are off limits! I also don't want anyone I care about to be exposed to the poison on my face.  If I had known then what I know now.........

I will have to repeat this process over many times to stay alive.  I think about how many times I burned my butt in a tanning bed, and I'm very aware there could be cancerous spots on my body that I miss.  Fluorouracil treatment is horrible and painful,  but it gets better, and I know that this round.  I have no doubt I can do this.  It beats the hell out of having things cut off with razors and needles and all that.  This is not even an option on my face, given that it is spread evenly over my entire face. I have read the blogs of people who have to treat their bodies with fluorouracil and figure that is in my future as well someday.  I can't imagine having my clothes rub on my skin. The people going through that have my utmost respect and admiration. 
 
EOS lip balm still soothes me.
Ice coffee makes me happy. 
I need to buy straws because anything I eat or drink gets into the cracks in my lips, boo salt.

2 comments:

  1. My doctor prescribed me the cream yesterday. I'm only supposed to use it on my lower lip. I'm so glad I found your blog. It gives me a much better idea of what to expect. I've had several spots removed from my face, arms and chest already. My doctor wanted to try this treatment first before giving to cut into my lip. I was a big fan of the EOS lip balm before and stocked up yesterday. I just want to thank you again for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoochy,
    Thanks for sharing on here! I'm in round 3 Day 7 at the moment and doing my lips this time. OMG!!! I get to do this annually now. Hopefully it will prevent ever developing spots that need to be cut off my face. It's scary to think about. They could do a "Hoarders" episode on me and all the lip balm stashed around my place. Bet your lip looks great now. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete